Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide Alarm

According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), at least 430 people die in the U.S. every year due to unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that if inhaled, can be deadly. CO fumes from burning fuel – whether it be a car, stove, furnace or generator, can quickly build up inside of any enclosed space. These fumes can become deadly, even before anyone experiences symptoms. As scary as carbon monoxide poisoning can be, it can be prevented. The best way of preventing carbon monoxide poisoning is to be informed.

Avoiding CO poisoning

● Install a battery-operated or battery back-up CO detector in your home and check or replace the battery when is Daylight-saving time. Place the detector where it will wake you up if it alarms, like outside your bedroom.

● Have your heating system, water heater, and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances checked by a qualified specialist every year.

● Do not use portable flameless chemical heaters indoors.

● If you scent an odor from your gas refrigerator can mean it could be leaking CO. have an expert service it.

● When you purchase gas equipment, buy only equipment that carries the seal of a national testing agency, such as Underwriters’ Laboratories.

● Make sure your gas appliances are vented properly.

● Never patch a vent pipe with tape, gum, or something else. This kind of patch can make CO build up in your home.

● Never burn charcoal indoors. Burning charcoal – red, gray, black, or white – gives off CO.

● Never use a portable gas camp stove inside of any enclosed space. Using a gas camp stove indoors can cause CO to build up inside your home.

● Never use a generator inside your home, basement, or garage. Place the generator at least 20 ft. away from any doors, windows or other openings. Make sure to use a battery-operated CO detector anytime you use a generator.

● Never start your parked vehicle in a garage that is attached to your house or in an unattached garage unless the door is fully opened. Doing so could cause weakness, confusion and loss of consciousness.

CO poisoning symptoms

Carbon monoxide poisoning can be deadly. It can affect you before you even realize there is a problem.

Signs of CO poisoning can include headache, weakness, dizziness, confusion, chest pain, vomit and upset stomach. The symptom can often be described as “flu-like.” People who are sleeping or intoxicated can die from CO poisoning before they have symptoms.

If you believe you may have CO poisoning, go outside as quickly as possible and call 911.

If you have any questions about residential or commercial alarm systems or the installation of CO detectors to your existing alarm system, call Sentinel Security Systems at 844-797-8361.